Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Welcome

I really enjoy the Rio Grande and model trains. I model the Rio Grande in On30. (Narrow Gauge for O scale that runs on HO track) My wife teases me because I am only 27 and am already into trains and model railroading. I admit there is a stereotype that model trains is for the "older generation". I read an interesting bit of information today:

Back in 1999/2000 Classic Toy Trains, conducted a survey and according to their survey the “typical” toy train hobbyist is:

*A 52-year-old married man with children. He enjoys toy trains in his childhood and became involved with them again about 20 years ago. He shares his interest with at least one relative or friend.

*He is enthusiastic about the hobby. He reads related books and magazines and may even use his computer to help him enjoy it. His interest has not diminished in the past year; in fact, it may have grown.

*His major focus is on the Lionel O gauge trains manufactured between 1945 and the present. He considers himself to be both a collector and an operator of those trains.

*His home layout contains approximately 213 square feet and is either of traditional design or combines traditional and hi-rail elements.

*His anual income is approximately $73,500, and he spends about $1,500 on toy trains and realted merchandise.

From http://modeltraindepot.net/blog/?p=11

I see myself as a "Model Railroad Outsider" because I do not match the demographics of your typical model railroad enthusiast. I have been to a couple of local model railroad clubs and am by far the youngest by about 30 years. Anyway I will use this blog to show my layout and other various train pictures. I am always interested in web sites that are about the Rio Grande or model railroading so let me know of your favorites. Here is an old video of my layout.


1 comment:

Bill Iwan said...

Hi,
Not all of us are over the hill. I like you, still have many years left to enjoy the hobby, or obsession as my wife calls it. I model in On30 and also enjoy modeling the D&RGW. You can check out my site at www.sierrarailroadmodels.com or drop me a note