Tuesday, March 24, 2009

K-36 #481

One reason I haven't had many projects was because I drained my train funds (the wife even let me have a small loan) to make a big purchase. Model Mountain Import On30 K-36 #481.

The box arrives


Snug fit


K-36, 2-8-2, Flying Rio Grande, Black Boiler, Road #481


Oiling instructions and wiring diagrams


Lots of foam


More packing, here comes the engine.


Nice.....


Survived UPS


Tender Packing


Tender


Needs some coal and water


First look together

The K-36 is bigger than my K-28 and requires a minimum turning radius of 28-30 inches to run smoothly (current layout curves 26 inches). Instead of redoing my whole layout, I simply removed the trailing truck and it works pretty good (now it's a 2-8-0, but nobody will know...oh wait, its the internet...dang)

#481


K-36 and K-28


Rio Grande K-36


Difference in size


Tenders


Narrow Gauge at its finest

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the 482 in the same paint , i want to model the Durango & Silverton , i just need 473,476,478,480,481,and 486.I am planning to buy my first K-28 in a few months ! I realy love the old D&RGW narrow gauge steamers !

Anonymous said...

Can you give me a few tips on how to lower the coupler on my MMI K-36 to match the Bachman height?

Joe said...

For lowering the coupler I used a Kadee HO #29 coupler. I also used some plastic spacers to lower it some more. Also check this web site for more tips. It's for K-28s, but some good info.

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/PSC/MMI/K28/k28_tips.htm#Rear%20Coupler

Anonymous said...

Ok i know that site its in my favs,i'll look at it

thanks

Anonymous said...

boy...finding some MMI k-28s is going to be really hard, those things have been sold out for years. I would just suggest modeling the 1950s era of the D&RGW so then you dont have to get all the engines. Thats what I'm doing.